red phone icon
Call Us Today 507 625 5000

Southern Minnesota Family Law

practice areas image


At Kohlmeyer Hagen, Law Office, our Southern Minnesota family lawyers are devoted to protecting the rights of our clients and helping them find effective solutions for their family law concerns! With an emphasis on finding collaborative solutions when possible, we have deep experience handling a wide range of family law matters in Minnesota. If you have any questions about a family law matter, professional guidance is available. Contact our Mankato family law attorneys to arrange your fully confidential initial case evaluation with a top family law attorney in Southern Minnesota.

We Provide Comprehensive Family Legal Services

If you see a dispute on the horizon, or if you have received court papers, then get in touch with one of our Minnesota family law attorneys as soon as possible.

Going through a family law case is never easy. It can be stressful, confusing, and time-consuming. A significant legal matter is important—it is crucial that your rights and interests are properly protected. No matter the specific circumstances that you are dealing with, our legal team can offer reliable guidance. At Kohlmeyer Hagen, Law Office Chtd., we provide comprehensive family law representation to clients in Southern Minnesota. Our attorneys are prepared to help you with:

  • Divorce:  Our family law firm handles both contested and uncontested divorce cases in Minnesota. We are prepared to help you with all aspects of your divorce, including the divorce paperwork, property distribution, spousal support, child custody, and any other issue. You need a skilled divorce lawyer by your side. Call our Southern Minnesota divorce attorney for help. 
  • Military Divorce: For military families and military veterans, the divorce process can be especially complicated. There are some unique issues that need to be resolved. While the same general rules for divorce apply to military divorces in Minnesota, federal laws, including the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFSPA) could have an impact on the case. Contact our Southern Minnesota military divorce lawyer for help. 
  • Spousal Support (Alimony): Following a divorce or separation in Minnesota, one spouse may be required to pay spousal support (alimony, spousal maintenance) to the other. That being said, spousal support is not automatic in our state. It is not awarded in every case. Minnesota law only requires spousal support when certain key factors are met. For more information, please contact our Southern Minnesota spousal support lawyer. 
  • Child Custody & Visitation: For parents, family law disputes can be difficult. Nothing should come between you and your kids. We help parents navigate child custody and child visitation cases in Southern Minnesota. Our legal team can help you understand your rights and responsibilities under state law as well as the implications of Minnesota’s best interests of the child standard. Call our Southern Minnesota child custody & child visitation lawyer for help with your case. 
  • Child Support: Are you involved in a child support case in Minnesota? Whether you are paying or receiving child support, our family lawyers are prepared to protect your legal rights and financial interests. We take on all types of child support cases—from initial negotiations to the collection of delinquent child support. Call our Southern Minnesota family attorney for assistance with your case.
  • Grandparent Rights: A grandparent can play a very important role in the life and development of a child. While the rights of a grandparent are far less than the rights of a parent, a grandparent may be entitled to child custody or child visitation in certain limited circumstances in Minnesota. All cases will be resolved using the state’s best interests of the child legal standard. What is best for the child is the paramount question in custody and visitation cases, including those involving a child’s grandparents. If you have any questions about grandparent rights in Minnesota, we can help. 
  • Restraining Order: Unfortunately, domestic violence remains a serious issue in Southern Minnesota and across the state. There are legal options available for victims. Often referred to as a protective order, a family law restraining order is a type of court order that is designed to protect a person (or persons) who were victims of domestic abuse or were subject to actionable threats of domestic abuse. Minnesota has a specific process in place that must be followed when filing for or challenging a restraining order. Contact our Southern Minnesota family lawyers for help with a restraining order case. 

Our Family Law Team Puts an Emphasis on Amicable Solutions

We strongly believe in the importance of collaborative problem-solving and amicable solutions in family law cases—especially when children are involved. A collaborative settlement to a family case can save time, money, stress, and preserve relationships. Our Southern Minnesota family lawyers can help you with mediation and other forms of collaborative negotiation.

At the same, your personal rights and interests matter. You could be dealing with an uncooperative spouse (or worse) in a family law case. Our trial-tested Southern Minnesota family lawyers are always ready to take whatever legal action is necessary and appropriate to protect you and your loved ones. 

Why Rely On the Minnesota Family Lawyers at Kohlmeyer Hagen, Law Office Chtd

Family law disputes are notoriously complex. These matters should always be treated with the highest level of care, sensitivity, respect, and personalized service. At Kohlmeyer Hagen, Law Office Chtd., we will put the time and resources in your case to handle it the right way. Among other things, our Southern Minnesota family lawyers are prepared to: 

  • Listen to your story and answer your family law questions;
  • Investigate the matter—securing relevant evidence; 
  • Help with all family law paperwork;
  • Represent you in any settlement discussions; and
  • Take whatever legal action is needed to solve problems.

Contact Our Southern Minnesota Family Attorneys for Immediate Help

At Kohlmeyer Hagen, Law Office Chtd., our Southern Minnesota family lawyers are skilled, experienced advocates for our clients. If you have any questions about family law, we are more than ready to help. Contact us today to set up our strictly confidential consultation. From our law offices in Mankato and Rochester, we provide family law representation throughout Southern Minnesota, including in Blue Earth, Olmstead, Nicollet, Steele Le Sueur, and Dodge counties. 

Areas of Family Law

Frequently Asked Questions

About Family Law

I’m not Rich, so Do I Need a Prenuptial Agreement?

Prenuptial agreements can be very helpful, regardless of your wealth. With this type of agreement, you can:

  • Identify what is your marital property and what is separate property. Minnesota has rules in place to determine whether property is marital or separate, but you can designate property in the prenuptial agreement.
  • Determine who will get what in a divorce. You can make the division of property and debts yourself.
  • Decide whether either spouse will get alimony, called spousal maintenance, and for how long.

Prenups are for more than divorce. When you die, your spouse has a right to an “elective share.” This is a percentage of your estate based on how long you were married. The elective share preempts what’s in your will. In a prenup, spouses can waive their right to an elective share, which protects assets for your children from a previous marriage.

What are Available Grounds for Divorce?

Minnesota is a no-fault divorce state. The only ground for divorce is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. Basically, if one spouse wants to get divorced, then the marriage has broken down.

Can a Grandparent Get Visitation if the Parents Object?

Yes, but it is difficult. Generally, parents are free to raise their children as they see fit, without the interference of grandparents or anyone else. There are limited situations where a grandparent can seek visitation:

  • Their child (the grandchildren’s parent) has died.
  • The child has lived with the grandparents for at least a year.
  • The parents of the grandchildren are in the midst of a divorce, legal separation, annulment, or parentage proceeding, or have gone through one of these disputes in the past.

Grandparents need to be prepared to show it is in the child’s best interest to have visitation with them. The child’s best interests are always the touchstone when it comes to visitation.

Can Grandparents Get Custody?

Yes. There are generally two situations where grandparents can request custody:

  • You’ve been acting as the custodian for a child for a certain amount of time, usually 6 months or a year, depending on the child’s age. This is called being a “de facto” custodian.
  • You can show harm or danger to the child, such as abandonment, neglect, or abuse. Your evidence must be clear and convincing. For example, medical records and police reports showing abuse are helpful.

Custody as a grandparent is very difficult to get if either parent fights it.

Get in Touch with a Minnesota Family Law Attorney

To protect your rights in a family law dispute, you need an experienced attorney who is looking out for your rights. Hire a seasoned southern Minnesota family law attorney by calling Kohlmeyer Hagen Law Office today. We offer a free consultation, which you may schedule by calling 507-625-5000.

What If Domestic Abuse is Involved?

Victims of domestic violence have many difficulties on their plate at any given time: dealing with the physical effects of abuse, seeking help with mental trauma, and finding a positive care situation for children. Going through a divorce can often exacerbate these issues. Emotions run high in almost any divorce process, and the increase in tension can make a bad situation worse. If you are a victim of domestic violence and are considering a divorce, or are already started on the divorce process, contact us to learn more about your legal options.